Wimborne St Giles

St Giles

Wimborne St Giles is a hundred and parish situated in the well-wooded valley of the River Allen near the old royal hunting ground of Cranborne Chase, 12 miles North of Poole. The hundred contains West Woodyates parish, while the parish of Wimborne St Giles contains the eponymous village and the tithing of All Hallows. Formerly, All Hallows was the more important of the two villages. It was recorded as having a church in 1086, while at that time St Giles was merely a chapelry. In 1733 the two parishes were combined and All Hallows church was demolished in 1742, leaving only the lych gate and churchyard. Today Wimborne St Giles feels tranquil and secluded, away from busy roads, but the London to Weymouth coach road used to pass by the North of the village with its attendant noise and bustle.

St Giles’ Church has Grade 1 Listed status and is situated in the middle of the village of Wimborne St Giles, facing the village green and school  and adjoining a row of early 17C Almshouses. The church has a fine organ and a resident organist.  It is open every day to visitors.  The present building was constructed in 1732 on the site of the earlier mediaeval church and was designed by the Bastard Brothers, architects of Blandford. Records indicate a church here in 1291. The Bastard Brothers church was in Early Georgian style, well constructed in greensand and flint. 

The two Wimborne villages took their name from the meadow stream, now called the River Allen, which flows through them, from Old English winn and burna. St Giles and All Hallows refer to the respective dedications of the churches, St Giles being an 8th century hermit of Provencal origin and All Hallows meaning all saints. Few manorial estates in Dorset can claim the distinction of not having changed ownership by purchase since the Norman Conquest. As a family became extinct in the male line, the manor passed by an heiress to a new family by name, but tied to the old one by blood, starting with the Malmaynes and the de Plecys. At the end of the 14th century, the de Plecy heiress married Sir John Hamely and on their death their daughter brought the property to her husband, Robert Ashley.

Please consider supporting the work of our Parish through regular giving or a one-off donation

Church Wardens

Caroline Barnes

Martyn Cubitt

If you would like to get in touch with the Church Wardens, please email wsgchurchwardens@kcb.org.uk